Search site

Government Initiatives

Renewable Energy E-Gaming E-Commerce New Residents

Dangerous Weapons and Firearms

THE DANGEROUS WEAPONS (ALDERNEY) ORDINANCE, 1965, (Section 2(1)) states that a person shall not purchase, acquire or have in his possession any dangerous weapon or ammunition unless they hold a valid weapons certificate.
A dangerous weapon is defined under THE DANGEROUS WEAPONS (ALDERNEY) LAW, 1965, as "any weapon of any description designed or adapted for the discharge of any ammunition or for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or any other thing, and includes any component part of any such weapon and any accessory to any weapon designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon" (e.g. a silencer).

Currently under the 1965 legislation you must apply for a Weapons Certificate if you wish to have in your possession any of the following weapons:
• Air Rifles and Air Pistols
• Bows and Crossbows
• Sporting Spear-guns
• Shotguns
• Pistols (Revolvers etc.)
• Sporting Rifles etc.

For any other weapon or if you are in any doubt as to whether you need a weapons certificate please contact the office of the Chief Executive's Office on +441481 820010 or for advice.

Application forms for a Weapons Certificate are available from the States General Office or can be downloaded at the bottom of this page. The form must be completed in full with an accurate description of the weapon(s) and ammunition to be purchased or to hold in your possession and submitted with the correct fee payable to either the States General Office or posted to the States of Alderney, PO Box 1001, Alderney GY9 3AA.

All initial weapons certificate applications are referred to the police.

Once a Weapons certificate is obtained it is the responsibility of the certificate holder (and a condition on the certificate required under the above Ordinance) to keep the weapons and any permitted ammunition in a secure cabinet.

Any sale, transfer, destruction or loss of a dangerous weapon must be reported in the first instance to the Chief Executive of the States (01481 822816). Please be advised that the sale or transfer of a dangerous weapon to any other person is an offence unless that person has a Weapons Certificate authorising them to purchase or acquire it.

If a dangerous weapon or ammunition is to be brought into or exported off the Island then an Import or Export licence is required. Please fill out the same form as for an application for a Weapons Certificate and mark it 'Import / Export Licence', (whichever the case may be) stating the address of the person/business to whom the weapon is being exported to or imported from, plus any other contact details available. A copy of all import/export permits issued is sent to the Border Agency for information.