Search site

Government Initiatives

Renewable Energy E-Gaming E-Commerce New Residents

Explosives and Fireworks

The term "explosive" covers any energetic material such as gunpowder, nitro-glycerine, guncotton, picric acid, dynamite, blasting gelatine, gelignite. Explosives are not only used commercially for blasting, but they are found in many everyday items from party poppers to airbag initiators, fireworks and flares.

Explosive and Fireworks can only be imported with an import licence issued by the Chief Executive's Office unless they are in a class which is exempt from the full requirements of the law (such as party poppers). A display permit will be issued with terms and conditions regarding the display which must be adhered to under any circumstances.

Further information can be obtained from the Chief Executive's Department on +44 (0)1481 822 816 or email