Search site

Browse the Website

Government Initiatives

Renewable Energy E-Gaming E-Commerce New Residents

Applying For Planning Permission


If you want to make changes to your home or in your garden you may need to make an application for planning permission. You will need to pay a fee to make a planning application and the cost will vary depending on the type of proposal. 

Before you apply

Before submitting a planning application, you should establish whether you actually need planning permission. Check the section 'Do I Need Planning Permission.'

If after checking you're still unsure whether your development needs permission, please telephone (01481 820031) call in or write to the Planning Office, Island Hall, to ask for advice.

Submitting your application

All planning application forms are available on our website and can be downloaded.

A fee is charged for a planning application. The planning fees schedule is available below.

Once all drawings, plans, forms and any supporting information are complete, they should be submitted with the correct fee to the Planning Office. Cheques should be made payable to 'The States of Alderney.'

Planning application decisions

All planning applications for development have to be dealt with consistently, in line with planning law and planning policies. The Law, Land Use Plan and policies can be viewed here.

All decisions on planning applications are made by the Building and Development Control Committee. Formal committee meetings are held approximately every six weeks. Applications which are minor, straightforward, and non-contentious are usually dealt with outside of the formal committee meetings, with decisions being made after the application has been publicly advertised for at least 21 days.

The factors that the Building and Development Control Committee have to take into consideration when making decisions on applications can be viewed here.

Applications which meet any of the following criteria will always be determined at the formal committee meetings:

(a) Where there is a departure from established policy

(b) The proposal appears to raise particularly contentious or sensitive issues

(c) A States Member has requested formal consideration at the committee meeting

(d) The application is by a States Member or a member of the Civil Service

(e) There is a chance of refusal

Back to top